Thursday, March 22, 2012

BLARGH!

Class was awful.  My incompetent mens health professor made us debate the issues of sex before marriage, masturbation and prostitution.  To be very clear, I am not in favor of saving myself before marriage, and I am in favor of decriminalizing and regulating prostitution and I do very much love masturbating. 

Most memorable was the discussion over masturbation.  My instructor used a fictional student that could have been any of the girls in the room and the boys in the room girlfriends.  A 20 something coed who uses a vibrator to masturbate daily.  That’s me.  I am a 20 something coed who uses a vibrator (or three) to masturbate daily.  She started reading outdated literature that referred to masturbation as self abuse and talked about the numerous old wives tales connected to masturbation(hairy palms, going blind, ect)  and either didn’t care to or didn’t know that a student cited bad information when he said that masturbating can make (fertile) men infertile.   My instructor suggested that people who masturbate to relieve stress aren’t healthy and that there are healthier options, like going for a run. 

One particularly annoying thing that was said was "what if my partner masturbates so much that (s)he passes up sex with me?"  I've never known in my own relationships, or my friends relationships for that to happen, when the relationship was working anyway. The only times I've heard or seen that happen are when the relationship isn't working for one or both parties.  Masturbation and sex accomplish different things. Masturbation accomplishes usually accomplishes an orgasm, the completion of "me" time, and stress relief.  Having sex with a partner can be just the act of orgasming, but I think that more often it's the coming together of coupledom.  A union, becoming one or whatever.  It's an expression of how you feel towards each other. So if your partner is using, "I just masturbated." as an excuse not to have sex then it's time to look at your relationship rather than curse the evils of self pleasure.  Such an excuse used often is a symptom of a failing relationship, not the reason a relationship is failing. 

You’re teaching a class woman.  Use up to date information.  Don’t perpetuate old myths about masturbation; the catholic church does enough of that and they don’t need your help.  Teach that masturbation is generally accepted as a healthy alternative to other sexual activity.  Yeah,  you’ll have the wackos who think ALL sexual activity, including masturbating, should be saved for marriage, but fuck them.  They don’t matter.  Don’t demonize those who choose to masturbate to relieve stress. It’s as valid a form of stress relief as going for a run. 

Also in class we did a sexual values anonymous questionnaire and afterwards she asked us where we stood on specific questions.  I think that is in incredibly poor taste.  In fact, I can’t decide which is poorer in taste, demonizing masturbation or asking us to share our answers on the anonymous form. 

I think the real problem with demonizing masturbation is that by demonizing something as accepted as masturbation you shut down all the conversation to talk about other sex acts that might be beneficial to discuss.

In fact, all this talk of masturbating makes me want to go masturbate, so I'll catch you guys some other time

No comments:

Post a Comment